Wednesday 6 April 2011

1- In what ways does your media product use, develop of challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

1.

My media product was a 2-minute film opening, I chose my genre to be a Psychological thriller after watching many existing products I chose a genre that I personally enjoy I think a viewer gets satisfaction from a psychological film as it isn’t just something to sit back and watch. I find that those particular films are very interactive with the viewer; you can begin to form relationships with the characters. It allows you to think for yourself and gives a satisfying end rather than a unexplained film can leave you feeling a bit disappointed, it develops and challenges typical codes, forms and conventions of existing film openings.
As I was aware, I knew that the conventions of a thriller film used suspense, tension, and excitement, as their main key elements and then film will usually have a criminal or murderer involved. There is also normally some sort of main plot or chase scene. This revolves around the key elements of suspense and tension and reflects the film for being a Thriller.

I tried to keep my film simple by not having any dialogue in the first two minutes as I thought that dialogue would distract the viewer where as if there is no dialogue just natural background sound, the viewer becomes more focused with their observation as they have to try harder to understand, it is possible to pre-judge something when you hear a certain type vocabulary or a particular accent. To avoid pr-judgement not including dialogue will allowed the viewer to dictate his or her own first impressions of the film.

By combining the codes and conventions of two types of genres, I have created a hybrid genre ‘ Psychological thriller’
The typical codes and conventions of a Psychological thriller would be a hero, a victim and a hidden plot that the audience begin to understand throughout the film or programme, I think it was a good idea to follow this route as things like psychological thrillers are not to obvious but keep the audience interested.


By having two genres that I have to work with it actually challenges me to try and combine the codes and conventions successfully
For example A Thriller generally focuses on the plot over the characters, which emphasizes in intense physical actions over the characters psyche.
Psychological thrillers tend to reverse this, as they emphasize on the characters just as much.


The fact that the camera is filming behind the bushes gives and element of mystery and it is if the camera is hiding away from the truck for a specific reason

Viewing from a distance On the way down the field the camera is always viewing from a distance away this would suggest that it is not an idea to get to close.

Head shaking in the cab is to show that he isn’t quite sane, I could have paid a lot more attention to detail on this and I think I could have been a lot more successful.

This is showing that my film opening follows and uses typical codes and conventions of both genres when relating to editing areas such as lighting and transitions

No comments:

Post a Comment